Monday, February 22, 2010

Hunger of Memory-Rodriguez

The title fits this article all so well. I feel sorry for Rodriguez. His Spanish roots are dying and he doesn't want it to happen. This reminds me of Wind-Wolf except his father and mother don't want to lose their language and culture. They want to share it. They are not ashamed. They are proud of their roots.Rodriguez's parents were helping him by speaking English at home. He eventually learned. Rodriguez is proud too, unfortunately he really didn't have a choice. I believe this is why different languages are now offered in many schools today.
I went to a funeral this past Friday and sat with my cousins who all reminisced about our parents speaking Italian around the Sunday table at Mama's and Papa's house. We all wished we could speak Italian. Our parents speak English as a 1st language and very seldom do they use their Italian. It's sad. I'm thinking about taking an Italian class in the future. My son is planning to do so too. Hopefully, we can keep it going.

3 comments:

  1. It is depressing when people lose touch with their some parts of their roots, however your culture will never die because language is only one part of that. I do sympathize with Rodriguez because he was socially forced to lose touch with his roots, because of harrasment and crueltity. I'm glad that you're looking into Italian classes and wish you and your son luck if you decided to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a mix of so many different things; German, French, Native American, Irish, etc. I have no culture to call my own or identify with. I'm just American plain and simple. Sometimes I feel boring because of this.
    I work in the hospital and one time I was bringing a patient to her room. She was a pleasant-enough old lady, but when she saw my ID tag with my very obviously German last name she freaked out. She asked me if I was German and I said yes, partly. She happened to be Jewish. The patient became deathly afraid of me. I asked her if she'd like someone else to take her to her room she said yes.
    Even though I didn't identify with being "German" she made the assumption I was a bad and scary person. This really made me feel awful and offended.
    Good luck on the Italian classes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erika, Imagine how painful it was for her. You were so kind to her by offering someone else to help her. You have alot to offer. I can tell by your classroom responses. It doesn't matter, if you are Native American or Italian its your own life experiences that make you who you are. I'm Italian, but I can't speak it. I'm back in school because I always felt my offerings are not enough.

    ReplyDelete