Monday, February 15, 2010

McIntosh/Kozol

The White Privilege was easily compared to Johnson. McIntosh and Johnson both mention situations of African Americans feelings of discomfort, disadvantages and being less privileged. They both talk about feelings of oppression. While reading I was also trying to find an answer on how to end this racial discrimination/segregation. McIntosh also asked "Having described it what will I do to lessen it?" It's so hard to figure this out. The "26" conditions kept me thinking, but the one that stood out the most was the color of a bandage. I never even thought about it. I mentioned back in Johnson that Privilege was "earned." Wow, am I ignorant. The more an more I read about this issue of race. The feelings of oppression get worst. It's so embarrassing.
Jonathan Kozol, Amazing Grace, tells a few different stories about the people living in Washington Heights and Harlem. Poverty stricken people, drug addicts, prostitution, murders etc. The Lives of Children and the Conscience of a Nation. Pretty sad so far. Unbelievable to know that it's happening in the United States today. Meeting in a parks to hand out needles? Bad conditions in the Hospitals. How can this be allowed. P.23 Explains "power" & "evil" "rich" & "poor"
Video: Racism - Andrew Prashad u-tube (don't know how to download it)
(Note:Hispanic and 1/3 Black) Would like to read the rest.

4 comments:

  1. Usually copying and pasting the web address and marking it as a link will work.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY97BPSdbSU

    Good I.T. question to ask in class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maria,
    After reading McIntosh the condition about the color of the bandages also stood out to me. I never thought about it at all, this reading really gave me a new perspective on the issues of race and privilege.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello ladies!
    I too felt bad after reading the band aid situation. I googled "ethnic band aid" and found that they do have band aids for people of color. They are called "Perfect Blends." The link below is to someone's blog who has posted the picture of the band aid box with some comments.

    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g40/ayumimeegan/perfect.jpg&imgrefurl=http://ayumimeegan.com/2006/10/24/perfect-blend-band-aid/&usg=__WlULx5asgzrIo_V45J3O9BksAjQ=&h=240&w=320&sz=22&hl=en&start=5&itbs=1&tbnid=IfENaDbprNy3rM:&tbnh=89&tbnw=118&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dperfect%2Bblend%2Bbandaids%26hl%3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I'll jump on the bandwagon and agree that the part about the band-aid was upsetting. Never before had I even considered how band-aids must make people of color feel. I think this just emphasizes the fact that we (as whites) don't acknowledge the power that we have.

    ReplyDelete