Saturday, March 20, 2010

HK-March 19-Ms. L and I had the opportunity to discuss some of the students and their behaviors. She pointed out different students and explained the type of upbringing they had. I thought most of them looked clean and well cared for. Ms. L shook her head and said "you only see them once a week." Some of these kids have been wearing the same thing all week." She pointed out the student who I thought looked "well-dressed." He had on a Tommy-Hilfiger button down shirt on. Ms. L said that student receives "free lunch assistance", both parents don't work and he is picked up in a beautiful huge yellow Hummer vehicle by his father every day. Without actually putting this in words.....we both "surmised" the possibilities as she knows these students obviously better than I.
The class was working on Reading and answering some comprehension questions. I walked around to help some students. One boy that I find every week who sits in the front of the class at a table by himself had nothing done. I think he has an attention problem. I stood over him and worked with him. He quickly caught up to the rest of the class. He is very smart, just couldn't stay focused by himself.
There were 3 students today who were just sitting Ms. L's class. Their teacher did not show up for school and there was no substitute. They were given sheets to work on for the day. The each had 6 sheets and at 1:30 when I arrived only 1 or 2 sheet were complete. I tried to help them complete a couple more before Math started. What a shame!!! These three students were in this class last Friday as well.
Math began and Ms. L. is teaching measurement. She used a scale to show oz. lbs. and tons. They read from their math books different problems. One problem that stood out that I recognized as one that I received when I was a student in elementary school went like this....
Which weighs more a lb. of feathers of a lbs of apples. Explain your reasoning. I loved this one as a student and still loved it!!! It was so funny when all the hands went up!!! Ms. L and I had a chuckle over this one too. They will be tested on Monday for measurements. They seemed to have a handle on it so we'll see how well they do.

1 comment:

  1. I also see kids in my classes who seem to have harder upbringings. One of the girls in my group tells me about her home life voluntarily and the stories she tells are saddening because she sees nothing wrong. It's not that she's in harms way, but it's also easy to see she encounters things she maybe shouldn't. I hope the rest of your meetings go just as well. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete