Monday, March 15, 2010

Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us - Linda Christensen
This reading helped me to think about stereotypes, self image, money and power, education and again racial issues.
I never really noticed the way cartoonists depicted different characters as they did in Daffy Duck when the women appear to look like Jessica Rabbit or Playboy centerfolds. When students after reading these stories find stereotypes on their own "look, Ursula the sea witch is ugly and smart. He, she's kind of dark looking. The young pretty one only want to who their man; the old pretty ones are mean because they are losing their looks."
But then again these are old cartoons. I feel as we progress with the times, things will get better.
I find that the cartoonist are trying to appeal to the adult audiences when showing the images of beautiful women and images of money being made. I have seen movies like Charlies Angels trying to make women look strong and powerful. Its not like the industry doesn't know that we need more of them. Unfortunately, the children are still watching these cartoons and movies. Disney movies are very powerful. I remember when my son was three and had been experiencing with "night terrors". The pediatrician asked if he was watching any movies. He loved The Lion King and watch it over and over again. Well, think about the bad influence that occurred with Mufasas own brother, when he killed Mufasa. Very tragic. The pediatrician pointed out to me how bad it was for my three year old to be watching this Disney movie.
The writers think that the story-line or joke-line goes over the childrens heads, but it doesn't often happen. Children now a days are exposed to so much more. So when these images are presented to them they get it.
Weight issues, money, power, politics, racial issues are everywhere. Therefore children are not just influenced by the Disney movies and cartoons being presented to them. It's on billboards, on the news, in magazines. The media is brainwashing everyone. What's the solution???? Who knows....There are so many issues to bring to the round table where do we start.
The Black Cinderella....Keep them coming!!! Things should get better. I hope. I agree with Kenya and there should be more women of color who play the leads in these white-on-white wedding cake tales. I can see this happening more and more especially within this past year. Obama is making a huge impact on the american people as well as pointing out to the many of us that there is no difference when it comes to "people of color."

1 comment:

  1. I can totally understand how your son would have nightmares about some of these movies - they are scary! When I was younger I used to be so scared of ET, the snake from Riki Tiki Tavi, and the Sher Khan (spelling?) - the tiger from The Jungle Book. And Disney does deal with some traumatizing story lines - the loss of a father is a horrible situation!

    ReplyDelete