Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Visited HK School on Friday, Feb. 28 -Worked with 2 students on a Math test out in the hallway. They were having difficulty while testing. The problems were hard. The test was on fractions. I could hear the teacher helping some of the other students in the class. I asked her if I could help these two students so they could understand what the problems were. She said it was ok to do so. When the math test was finished, I attempted to help a student with a writing assignment. This was difficult. His language skills were very poor. The teacher was giving out "Order Forms" for good behavior. The students who finish their work on time and behave well in class receive coupons to buy item at the HK school store. This is a good idea to motivate some students, but on the other hand not such a great idea for those who struggle. This reminded me of the "Power and Privilege" reading. Those students who were well behaved and who finished their work on time had more Power than those who could not do so.
Friday, March 5 - Today I introduced myself to the Principal of HK School. He was very kind. He asked me a couple questions and we realized that we had a couple acquaintances in common. While chatting the secretary and I also have common acquaintances. It was a good feeling.
The third grade teacher assigned three students to me and we worked as a group on problem solving. The teachers also reviewed a reading lesson with the students while I observed. The students had to review/redo this lesson. The majority of the class did not do well on the last test that she gave them, therefore the teacher told me that she could not move on the the next lesson until the rest or a majority of the students pass their next reading test.
I was able to observe the whole classroom and noticed the teachers classroom management. She had a Math Wall and posted some test on it. The test ranged from 40-100 as far as grading went. She had posters up with classroom rules on them. There was a chart on the wall for homework assignments, a chart showing how to solve math problems. There is a reading corner, a computer, and files set up for each student. I noticed a behavior chart with all the students names on it. The third grade teacher has a positive classroom relationship with her students.
I'm getting comfortable in the classroom and am beginning to recognize the students by name.

No comments:

Post a Comment